Sunday, May 09, 2010

Oops! Prayers of Protection that backfire.

I have experienced in my own life and in the lives of my fellow Christians the problems that occur when we pray for protection in ways that backfire.  I was puzzled when I lost a professional position where I was on provision. I did not connect it with my unwise daily prayers against territorial spirits over Edmonton and the University Hospital where I worked.  What a confusing set back.

I saw a close friend,. Tom, lose his marriage and his financial security as he persisted in the same kind of prayer of binding territorial spirits.

A Christian couple struggled with financial problems and difficulty with their son.  They, too, were using aggressive 'spiritual warfare.'

God bless Leanne Payne.  I attended a Pastoral Care School  with others from St. George the Martyr Anglican Church.  All this thanks to the organisation of Linda Riesberry.  She sounded the trumpet against arrogant prayer that purports to "bind" principalities and powers.  She found that it made things worse.  The wrong type of protection or spiritual warfare prayer acted just like a curse.


I had committed an almost unrecoverable error.  I had dug a hole for myself and my life was sinking down.  I was following what I was taught only what I was taught just about destroyed me.  I lost a job that would be a major set back in my professional career.  


I needed to repent.  I did repent.  I needed to humble myself.  I did humble myself.  I had to call a halt to my 'power trip in prayer.'  I did.  No more "binding" prayer for me.  No more focus on the enemy.


I began to find others who understood what Leanne Payne was saying.  I found that Judson Cornwall was rebuked by the Lord of 'worshiping demons' and giving Satan top billing at his worship service when he had no idea the danger that he was in when he publicly bound demons who interfered with the worship.


John Dawson shared a significant story in New Zealand about a large Christian praise, prayer and worship festival that included native indigenous people.  At a highlight of worship and prayer a chief of the area took authority over a territorial spirit believed to be over one of the mountains.  Instead of victory the chief was instantly struck down as if by lightening.  This story broadened the warning to include all large praise gatherings with indigenous peoples.


Rick Joyner saw it in a vision.  It had to do with the Cloak of Humility and the protection that it provided.  Contrast that protection with a group that decided on their own to leave the mountain and attack the enemy forces and were thoroughly decimated.


John Paul Jackson explains this in his book: "Needless Casualties of War."  In the book he warns against taking on evil in heavenly places; that our place is ground spiritual warfare - authority over earthly demons.  In his prophetic dream he came to see that the way people and congregations were praying lead to an attack on them that they did not even understand was happening.  When congregations chose to change the way they were praying the bad fruit ceased and protection returned.


I have seen those who refused to change their style of prayer go deeper into defeat.


I fought to recover and I believe that I am safe and hidden in Christ.  I learned a lesson that I will never forget.  I have learned the value of humility and the danger of my spiritual pride.  Now I am blessed.

3 Comments:

At 6:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:24 PM , Blogger Grateful4GodsGrace said...

This is interesting. I have wondered if we have gone too far. And yet, in humility, I have asked the Lord for discernment and direction. One time our pastor asked my now ex-wife and I to lead the deliverance ministry in our church. It was after only one time that the pastor sought to teach our elders about deliverance.

As I sought the Lord, I was lead to the account in Acts 19:13-16. It seemed that He was saying to me that if there was a formula for deliverance in the scriptures, it would be too dangerous, as people would follow the formula instead of the Lord. So I had to trust in the Holy Spirit's guidance.

I have been uncomfortable with some of the formulas that seem to have come up in healing and deliverance circles. I am also uncomfortable when people start by binding, and then ask the Lord's blessing (or using the practice to loose things of the Lord.) It seems backwards. It seems that we should start in worship of the Lord, and if anything can remain, then to take direction from Him as what do do with it.

Balancing this, we are subject to our soveriegn. And we are in a battle. God is described both as a protector and a deliverer. We will get in trouble, and we will get hurt. But our Sovereign is also our Healer. Our highest goal is intimacy with Him, and not safety in life.

So I think I am back to where I started. I need to follow, worship, and do whatever else the Lord directs. And at times grieve the loss of things precious with Him, and ask for healing, and wisdom that His rebuke would generate only more love.

 
At 4:49 PM , Blogger George C. Hartwell said...

Thanks for your wise and balanced approach. It is wonderful to start with worship and praise. It is good to be lead by the Lord and follow the guidance you get.
It makes sense not to get into formulas, especially when Jesus did things in such a variety of ways.
Blessings,

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home